[Note: For Games through Friday 8/11]
I used to do this more often earlier on in the life of this blog, but it's become increasingly difficult to keep track of all the Bears in the NFL because there are so freaking many. Which is a fantastic thing, though I doubt I'll even keep this up moving forward. But I was curious about how they did in their first week anyway.
- Giorgio Tavecchio knocked a 29 yard field goal for the Niners. Tavecchio's journey has been pretty remarkable if you think about it. Local kid, walks on to Cal a few weeks before his freshman year, ends up handling kickoff duties for the opener, and is kicking a FG in a preseason game for his hometown team just four years later. Forza Italia!
- Thomas DeCoud had two tackles as he continues to battle to maintain his starting free safety position.
- Shane Vereen didn't take first team snaps, but he led the team with 11 rushes for 64 yards. He also added two catches for 17 yards. New England will continue to run their backs by rotation but I must say that he looked the most impressive out of all of the Patriots' backs.
- Vereen faced off against former teammate Cameron Jordan who continues to start at defensive end for the Saints. Jordan recorded one tackle.
- LB DJ holt had two solo tackles for the Washington Redskins.
- Aaron Rodgers had an uncharacteristically poor showing, going 2-8 for yards and an interception. He also lost a fumble. C'mon A Rod. Pick it up. Pwahaha. Sorry, I really tried to act like those numbers mattered.
- LB Desmond Bishop notched two tackles, but left the game with a collarbone injury. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery.
- Safety Sean Cattouse had one tackle for the San Diego Chargers.
- Desean Jackson caught just one ball for 5 yards. Easy night.
- LB Mychal Kendricks had a big night for Eagles in his preseason debut, notching 5 tackles, including 3 for a loss. Kendricks is going to be a good one for the Eagles.
- Nnamdi Asomugha had two tackles as well for Philadelphia.
- The Denver Broncos also have two former Cal greats, both coming off injuries last season. Mike Mohammed had 3 tackles as a middle linebacker, while Syd'Quan Thompson recorded one for himself.
- I believe Anthony Miller is fighting for a roster spot with the Broncos, but did not record any catches during Manningfest.
- Jahvid Best did not play as he continues to it out due to concussion symptons.
- DB Dante Hughes is battling for the nickelback spot with the Giants after not being resigned last year by San Diego.
- Marvin Jones caught a long 45 yards pass for the Cincinnati Bengals. You can watch the grab here. Jones seems to be assured of grabbing the 5th WR spot, after overcoming a slow start to training camp. He hasn't passed up other rookie WR Mohammed Sanu, but should make the team. I think Jones has the size and physicality to be a solid contributor for any NFL team for a long time.
- I think most people have forgiven the Jaguars for drafting a punter in the 3rd round, no? Anger smashed it on Saturday, punting it 6 times for a 47.7 average, with a long of 58 yards, and knocking it three times inside the 20. Impressive numbers. He'll need to continue that, as Jaguars are going to punt A LOT this year.
- Michael Calvin didn't notch any receptions for the Atlanta Falcons as he tries to secure the 5th WR spot in the rotation. He has reportedly impressed in training camp however, showing off his speed and his ability to make catches.
- No stats here, but the Charlotte Observer has a bit of an unbelievable story on former Cal safety DJ Campbell. Apparently, his father murdered his mother when Campbell was just 6 year old. Unbelievable.
Saturday, August 11, 2012
[Note: For Games through Friday 8/11]